- Orthodontic treatment is an important investment in your future. Everyone helping with your orthodontic care on our team wants you to have the best results possible in achieving a beautiful and healthy smile.
- Does your diet have a role to play? Braces and the type of foods eaten can have an important role to play in helping to maintain clean and healthy teeth during orthodontic treatment as well as completing orthodontic treatment on time.
- Braces and wires have many nooks and crannies that can trap food and plaque which means that you may be at a higher risk of developing tooth decay and gum problems. It is therefore essential that you pay special attention not only to cleaning your teeth everyday but also looking after your dietary choices.
- Loose braces during orthodontic treatment is one of the more common factors of why your orthodontic treatment may take longer than anticipated. This is because the tooth (with the loose brace) can move away from its straight position. This is asides from the discomfort and inconvenience to you from having a loose brace and possibly needing to schedule your appointment with us sooner.
How to identify a loose brace
- Sometimes, you may be unaware of a loose brace until you see a tooth that was once straight but now appears crooked.
- The best time to identify a loose brace is after cleaning your teeth. Then observe your braces in the mirror and look for those braces which appear to be off-sided from the tooth. Is the brace away from the wire? Does the corresponding tooth look more crooked?
- If so, then gently push that brace with your finger. If the brace moves along the wire, you have a loose brace.